Board of Directors -Minutes
November 4, 2020: 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Back Alley—North Bend Lanes
In attendance: Timm Slater, Angy Miller, Stacey Dewater, Lonni Corona, Tom Watson, Rick Skinner, Dick Leshley, Twila Veysey, Mark Mattecheck, Todd Goergen, Rodger Craddock, Emily Bradley – SCDC, Pam Plummer, Clark Walworth, Ron Kutch, Dominic Jurado, Jeremy Oliver, Allison Richards, Tonya Burkholder, Lisa Farr, Christy Wright, Rick Osborn
- Call to Order, Introductions; Pledge to the Flag; Chamber Mission Statement – Lonnie
President Todd Goergen
- Consent Calendar
- President’s Report
- Fund raising opportunities
- Scary Sweets—October 29, 2020
- Resounding success
- Specific shout out to the committee Rick Skinner, Pam Plummer, Lonni Corona, Lisa Farr, Clark Walworth,
- $10,400 raised, Same as the Golf Tournament
- Several Sponsors, Donor Sponsors and Bakeries
- February event is a possibility
- UTV Take Over
- Happy to report are donating 10% = $2,500 to the Chamber
- Annual BACC Planning Session—CB Council Chambers November 6th
- All Directors are encouraged to attend this Friday in city council chambers
- Section on advocacy and better serve the community
- Communication, how to get the message out? What forms of contact?
- Chamber Structure, committees’ structure. Taskforce vs committee
- Membership—what do they need? How do we stay connected?
- WBC host for November 18th
- Today, Todd is hosting the WBC with John Bacon presenting 11:30 – 1
- WBC is bi-weekly for now, who will host on November 18th? Mark Mattecheck volunteered.
- Executive Director’s Report
- 2021-2023 BACC Director Election—Results
- Finished last Friday new set are
- Todd Goergen, Dick Leshley, Rick Skinner, Twila, Lisa Farr, Tracy Peirce & Steve Nye
- Finished last Friday new set are
- WBC—through the end of 2020
- November 18th is Robb Crocker, developer for the Tioga and other buildings
- December 2nd CCD Business Development with Theresa will present
- 16th of December is still up for grabs
- Sponsors are encouraged but none are lined up yet, if you want to contact Timm.
- Salmon Room east is 48 people with RSVP process that is within guidelines.
- 2020 Economic Outlook Forum—December 11, 2020
- Still working on an actual event, John Mitchell is still keyed in and looking forward. Guy Tower will be presenting.
- Fishing will be a focus. Still a multimillion-dollar industry
- We will hear from the Port, the Albacore Tuna Commission and the CB NB VCB
- Home Grown Business
- Coos Golf Club
- Clausens Oysters
- Working on live streaming and other ways to maximize the event.
- 2020 Beef Tickets are here!
- Contact Timm for tickets
- Ticket sales at Scary Sweets event, 5 beef tickets were sold
- Around the Horn: News & announcements.
Clark – do we have all the leadership we need for the Friday event? Clark is not moving forward and does not want to lead. Rick Osbourn will take advocacy. Mark Mattecheck will take the Chamber Structure. With the tribe, the CARES act money they applied for a grant to purchase property in Lane county to open a medical clinic. New business for the tribe.
Roger Craddock – everyone stayed on office he needed to continue the projects. Starbucks just opened up and that is good.
Mark – Expanding the deck area and putting on more roof. It’s going well and bowling is plugging along alright. 80% of the seniors have come back. Maybe send an email to the members regarding the planning session to see what they think is important. Can we invite the North Bend city manager to the Chamber meeting? Can we get an update on the schools have them come in and chat? Maybe the college too.
Stacey – Star of Hope got a $5K grant to purchase more recycle cans. Scary Sweets was amazing for Star of Hope in many ways. The cake they got was great
Lonni – Always hiring and always challenging, but last month was good. This month they give turkeys and goodies to employees so it is a fun month
Tom Watson – Wrapping up the year well. It has been successful. Gave away 150 trick or treat bags. Hired 2 new employees. Looking forward to 2021
Rick Osbourn – Things have been picking up a little year over year.
Rick Skinner – Boomer and Wright are in and we can work on that partnership
Tanya – Wrapping up their season that was okay. A little more busy then normal. Still may need to hire, but adapting to the way things are just different.
Pam – OPB celebrated community bank week and it went well. PPP is still going and rates are low now so the word needs to get out.
Kristy – NB Med is partnering with other facilities. For the community that means all images are going to be easier to access in one record. Big transition, huge transition but will be great.
Allison – Things are busy busy, seems more than before. Projects on the website are being worked on soon there will be a retail shopping page. Promotion for Christmas at the coast. Old fashion drive by light show will hopefully go well and bring in tourist.
Timm – North Bend everything is new. Jessica Engelke took the Mayor position. It will be interesting times with all the new players in North Bend. Get engaged and become part of the citizen committees.
- Executive Session: Finances
- Tentative October YTD financials.
- Balance Sheet looks pretty stable – does not include the scary sweets event or UTV money
- Profit and Loss – Income is broken into sections. General operating income seems stable. Membership is holding. New members are down a little but that is understandable. $1600 in new members for October
- Membership Event – many things have changed this year with BBQ Blues out but other things are very positive.
- Awards Banquet – Some of this income was from 2019 due to the timing but it is the same each year.
- Bowling was postponed. Maybe May 2021 dates will work
- EOF – still coming in
- WBC and Leadership Coos are down due to the circumstances.
- We are down, so Special Events are super important
- Publications – community profile is down a little, but the staff have been promoting and we are on our way to getting the goals met.
- Map Sales are every other year and web advertising is pretty stable
- Operating expenses, we are down $26K. We have been really watching our numbers. Staff is part time.
- Events – we are down due to all the items previously discussed
- Adjourn—Next BACC Board meeting December 2, 2020
Remember your face mask. Hand washing stations are available on site.
And all social distancing requirements will be observed.